top of page

BC Road Safety: What to Do When You are in a Car Collision

Updated: Sep 9, 2020

Road safety in Canada is important to consider especially during fall and winter seasons.

According to Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), 44% of car accidents involving pedestrians happen between October and January. In British Columbia, 76% of that type of accident happens at road intersections.

Keep yourself and others safe by following ICBC suggestions regarding road safety. You can also explore this section for more information.

However, despite the precautions, accidents do happen and here are what you need to do when you are involved in a car crash - whether you are the driver, a bus or car passenger, a cyclist, or a pedestrian:

1. Check for any injuries. Assess that everybody is safe, call 911 for police and especially if someone is in need of urgent medical attention.

2. Do NOT move your car until the police arrive.

It does not matter if you are in an intersection. It is important for the first responders to see how the accident happened. More importantly, do not move your car

until both parties took photos of the accident.

3. Collect the necessary information from ALL parties:

• License information

• Vehicle registration

• Witnesses’ name and phone number - this is very important for when your claim is under ICBC investigation.

• Take photos or save the dashcam video of the crash

4. Report your claim to ICBC as soon as possible especially if you have any injuries or medical symptoms caused by the collision.

You can call ICBC 24/7: 604-520-8222 or 1-800-910-4222 anywhere in Canada or the U.S. 

You can also file online here.

Make sure to write down your claim number. You will use this for the medical benefits you are eligible for. 

5. See a doctor to assess your injuries and symptoms.

Sometimes, whiplash and other symptoms occur days or weeks after the crash. If you do not have a GP, go to a walk-in clinic and ensure that there is documented evidence that records your complaints.

6. When your claim is approved, you are eligible for medical treatments from:

physiotherapists, chiropractor, registered massage therapists,

kinesiologist, psychologist, clinical counsellor, and acupuncturist.

*This info is as of September 4, 2020. Source: ICBC Treatment Guide.

6. Call a Personal Injury Lawyer to ask for assistance especially if you are unable to work because of the accident, your car is totalled, or if you feel that you are being treated unfairly.

7. For more information, please visit ICBC’s page regarding injury claims.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any questions by commenting below.

- Joy

97 views0 comments
bottom of page